Cookies – Chewy Oatmeal-Raisin – Grandpa’s Favorite TWC
1 cup (2 sticks) Butter (with salt added) – softened
1 cup firmly packed light Brown Sugar
2 Eggs (medium)
1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
¾ cup all-purpose Flour
¾ cup White whole-wheat Flour
1 ½ teaspoon Baking Soda
½ teaspoon Salt
3 ½ cups Rolled Oats (instant/quick oats)
1 ¼ cups (1/2 box) or ½ pound Golden Raisins*
¼ cup Orange juice (with lots of pulp)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Beat together butter and sugar until creamy.
- Add eggs and vanilla; beat well.
- Add flour, baking soda, and salt; mix well.
- Stir in oats; mix well. (By hand or power depending on mixer capacity – very stiff.)
- Add raisins and orange juice; mix by hand until raisins about evenly distributed.
- Drop by slightly rounded teaspoons onto ungreased cookie sheets (dough is quite sticky).
- Bake 10-12 minutes (until just beginning to brown – bordering on not fully cooked by touch test)
- Cool at least a minute on cookie sheet; remove to wire rack to finish cooling.
Makes about 5 dozen.
*Substitute regular raisins, chopped nuts, chocolate chips or butterscotch morsels, or mix as desired.
Cookies freeze well. Thaw in refrigerator. They store well in refrigerator too.